Feb 25, 2008

Taking Extra Care while Pregnant

As we all know when you are pregnant you are "eating for two" (at least sometimes more). The reality is though, that the nutrients that have depleted from our soils and such effect the quality of our food. In order to sufficiently "feed ourselves" and the baby during pregnancy and nursing we need supplements. I have had the "blessing" of experiencing extreme morning sickness through all my pregnancies, some more than others and some longer than others. Every time my OBGYN or midwife would suggest prenatal vitamins I would cringe. The iron makes me even more sick and they don't stay down. In the past my solution was to not take them at all.


Until this pregnancy. It occurred to me in all my "kissing the porcelain throne" trips, that even though I was very proud of my attempts at eating healthy, only organic fruits, veggies, milk and so on. I was losing all the good nutrients I was putting in. Every spring and summer I grow my own veggies which certain ones last longer than others and I had to admit I do still have to buy some items from the local farmers market and Organic stores. The problem though is that even in eating this way... I was still vomiting it all up.

It only took five pregnancies to figure out but I found one that works for my body type. It might not work for everyone, but it does the trick for me. I "usually" keep it down. It is called New Life Pre-Natal. It is a Whole Food Nutrients product so you have to take 9 pills a day, but at least I keeping some nutrients in my body, right! I get mine from my midwife, but I am sure you can get them online, maybe even in a Whole Foods Store.