What a Relief...
Oh how I have wanted to simplify!
Every 6 months or so I go through the house with the intention of simplifying...
I have a long way to go but I have at least 4 rooms decluttered as of yesterday!
Oh boy does it feel good!
This always seems like a necessity for me as I am about to start a new school year with the kids; although we teach many things year round.
There is something to a clean sweep and decluttering all that excess stuff that 7 people can accumulate.
I recently became ill and the reality of the things that have to be taken care, cleaned and put away became very real to me because I was unable to clean much.
I realized that my children, as well as myself, were spending far too much time just taking care of our "things."
I just got tired of all the cleaning...
it was taking up too much of our time and we weren't able to spend as much time truely productive... in our fellowship with one another, the Lord, and others. It even prevented us from enjoying the good things we have been blessed with.
Less really is more!
What ideas do you have on simplifying or decluttering your home?
Oh how I have wanted to simplify!
Every 6 months or so I go through the house with the intention of simplifying...
I have a long way to go but I have at least 4 rooms decluttered as of yesterday!
Oh boy does it feel good!
This always seems like a necessity for me as I am about to start a new school year with the kids; although we teach many things year round.
There is something to a clean sweep and decluttering all that excess stuff that 7 people can accumulate.
I recently became ill and the reality of the things that have to be taken care, cleaned and put away became very real to me because I was unable to clean much.
I realized that my children, as well as myself, were spending far too much time just taking care of our "things."
I just got tired of all the cleaning...
it was taking up too much of our time and we weren't able to spend as much time truely productive... in our fellowship with one another, the Lord, and others. It even prevented us from enjoying the good things we have been blessed with.
Less really is more!
What ideas do you have on simplifying or decluttering your home?
I agree with you completely. Less is more!!! I finally figured this out about a year ago. Especially with little ones in the house. As I'm sure you know, everything in your house is potentially an item for them to through on the floor and make a mess with. The less that you have, the less they have to make a mess with!
ReplyDeleteOur children are spoiled these days anyway and most of them have way more toys than they can truly play with. And I have way more things than I can possibly look at and fully enjoy every day.
I went through our house for 6 months one step at a time, and threw out or gave away everything I could. What we did need to keep, I made myself find a home for in an organized way so it wasn't clutter and it was easy to find. In our storage cabinet, I even tore the lid flaps off of cardboard boxes and labeled them "electrical", "home improvment", "hardware", "crafts", ect. This has been very liberating for me.
Ang, I am simplifying too!!! I have been de-cluttering our house for the last 2 weeks+ and I have a guest room full of stuff to put in a garage sale! Karry has been listing stacks of books on Amazon to sell, and we sold 5 or 6 the first night! I'm going room by room. I've gone through my closet, my bathroom, my kitchen, and the boys' room. I've been working on the bonus room, sorting toys without the boys in the room. It's amazing though, even if I ask them "do you play with Mr. Potato Head anymore?" they say "no, we don't care about that" and they're pretty ready to just give things up! I decided they don't need legos AND tinkertoys AND knex AND lincoln logs! Oh my! :) I've got more to go but I'm planning to have a garage sale the weekend of the 14th. If you want to join me, bring your car full of stuff over! :) :)
ReplyDeletePutting toys on "vacation" has always been nice for me. Then I can discover what toys really mean something to them...the ones they ask about..."Where'd my spiderman go?" The ones they don't miss end up in the Salvation Army/Garage Sale box. Since we've moved, I haven't unpacked about 85% of the toys, and I'm not planning on it until winter. Books, balls, leggos and a few dolls are all they have right now, and it's been WONDERFUL! (Oh yes, there is the 'art room' with crayons/markers/pencils/papers too.)
ReplyDeleteRight now, it's 'Go play outside with the rocks and the sticks and the dirt and your imagination!'
I always think of those 3rd world kids who have so little, but are so much happier and less whiney than our gluttonous culture, believing the lie that we need more.