Apr 1, 2010

Teaching Passover- Prophecy Meets History

This week has been a very enriching week for me and hopefully my children as well. Usually I put a lot of effort into the week of Easter- Lent- Passover... trying to teach the past as well as the significance of the now in regards to our relationship to Christ and what He has done. If you were to go through my blog posts... the past few years I tried to incorporate a Passover meal of sorts, but never did I fully attempt a Seder. Admittedly, I am not there yet. However, I am learning the significance of the few elements I have decided to learn about. How enriching it has been to see how prophecy of the Christ (Isaiah 53) has come together with the historical account of the Israelites exodus from Egypt through Passover & then to see how Christ fulfilled those prophecies and is so present in the stories that are remembered /practiced in the Seder. My eyes have been opened to so much through this process.

Did you know the word "remember" is in the Old & New Testament over 300 times?

Though we are not Jewish, Jesus was and I believe in the authority of the God of the Old Testament as well as the New Testament. Scripture says, He is the same yesterday, today & FOREVER! Though I do not practice traditions legalistically I do value the traditions of our ancestors and desire to know more about them, "remember" them, and "teach" them to my children.

"Reading the great "stories" in the Bible, the accounts of God's amazing love, provision, and protection is a good steady first step. (In teaching children the significance)But celebrating Hebrew traditions recorded in the Bible provides visual reminders and encourages awareness of the Lord's presence and His blessings. Biblical Festivals are living experiences." pg 18-19 , "Celebrating Biblical Feasts" by Martha Zimmerman

I would like to share with you one aspect which I taught the kids tonight:

As we were decorating eggs a fun tradition here at our house. This year I taught the kids the significance behind the roasted (boiled) egg at the Seder meal. The Egg is represents the hardness of Pharaoh's heart. The salt water it is dipped in symbolizes the tears of the Hebrew slaves under Egypt's bondage. Usually I read the legend of the Easter egg (look to last year post), but this year the focus has changed a bit as we are trying to understand more of the connection between the Old & New Testament and how Christ has fulfilled prophesy.

Children learn what they live...

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us."
John 1:14


Celebrating Biblical Feasts: In Your Home or Church
Great Resource:
"Celebrating Biblical Feasts"
by Martha Zimmerman

This book explains the meanings behind the parts of the Seder as well as giving recipes and is filled with scripture... prophetic as well as fulfillment scripture from the New Testament. This book is a must have in my library.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all of these ideas! This is one of the first years we are really going deep with the meaning of Easter. I have been looking for good resources:) Hope you are doing well friend!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.