"Mommy, I hope you can home school me through college!"
This began the conversation between my seven year old daughter and I last night. She said, "I just love learning how to cook mom. I love that I have time to read what I want to, knit, sew, learn other crafts. Even on days when we have to do a lot of chores. I know I will have to do those things when I am a mommy some day, so I don't mind." Knowing that her attitude does not always reflect these thoughts, especially about chores, I was curious to continue this conversation.
Very surprised by this chain of mature comments, I replied, "I love that you like being home schooled, but what made you think about being home schooled during college?" She said, "well when people go to college they go away and I would miss you guys to much and who would make you breakfast?"
I couldn't stop laughing. She actually thinks I can not make breakfast.
What a great reminder about one of the fundamental reasons for homeschooling. To build strong family relationships and to encourage the love of learning. I love that my daughter is finishing the last book in the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder and that she just started the series the third week in September. She is seven and a half and loves to read!
How awesome that we have been entrusted with the responsibility to open doors of learning to our children. When Kelsey finally grasped reading she was almost five years old. I remember telling her that the more she practiced, the better she would get and then she could learn about anything she wanted. Reading opens the doors to any future and more importantly to knowing God's Word, which enables us to Know Him.
It is so fun to see your children get excited to read. I didn't like reading when I was young. In fact, I didn't read much other than what was required of me to do well in school. Which in the public school system here in Oregon. Wasn't much. I graduated a 3.875 and I only read 3 books all the way through. Which goes to tell you how much I enjoyed reading... and what the standards of understanding of the material were in order to get an A. When I got married my husband opened my eyes to reading books that can change your life. Books that are easy to read because they have depth, meaning, they can challenge you to grow, or that intrigue you somehow. Just watching my daughter grab the Bible when she gets her feelings hurt by a brother or sister feels so good because I know in my heart that she will have a deeper journey with the Lord at a younger age because she reads the Word, enjoys and sees it as her guide in life.
What better "classic" to read than Scripture. It is a true Classic. There is never ending things to study and this journey of home education means we can learn the same grammar, spelling, and vocabulary skills as other kids; meaning while study the one "true" Word in existance today.
Hey Angie!
ReplyDeleteHow fun to have found your blog. Your kids are so big! Sounds like you are doing well. Congrats on the baby coming soon:)
Brandy Maddox