Teaching our children to Love the Lord is the single most important thing we will ever teach them. Though I believe that this isn’t taught but caught by our example. There are many good resources out there. The problem is that there are so many to choose from. It can get expensive if you get addicted to curriculum, so it helps to have recommendations from people who have read the books.
So here is my lists of favorite Family Devotionals, Children’s Bibles, and Children’s Books that teach Purity, Integrity and are just fun to read with your kids. If you have favorites you wouldn't mind sharing please leave your comment with the recommendation.
** Indicates an all time favorite of mine, a Must have
Bibles:
**The Word and Song Bible
- 100 read along bible Stories
- 70 sing along songs
- Narrator is a child, but some characters are read by Max Lucado, Rebecca St. James, and others
- Each Book in the Bible is represented with at least one Bible Story, Title Heading to help kids learn the books of the Bible
- Great for beginning readers- age when the want their own “big person bible”… I mostly use for Quiet time since it is read to them on CD
- CD $24.99 Bible $ ? Go to www.broadmanholman.com
- Lots of information about Bible times in addition to the stories, great Illustrations…Good supplement to bible reading
- Cost $22.99 www.dk.com
- There are at least three volumes that I know of. I used these when I taught Sunday school before I was married and had kids. Little ones love them because the stories aren’t written in an easy to understand wordage; the books are oversized, so the pictures are huge. At the end of each Bible Story there are prayer ideas, Craft ideas, snack ideas, and songs you can easily sing to the tune of old familiars like “Jesus loves me” just different lyrics
- Published by Group
**Flannel Board "Bible Story Deluxe Set"
- Purchase through www.sycamoretree.com
- $169.00—on line $34.99-Catalog offers a smaller version that is what we have
- My kids love this the best, b/c it is interactive… my 7 yr old still gets into it.
- Ages 6-10
- Whole Bible, NIV $22.99 www.zonderkidz.com
- The also have a beginning readers Bible that is recommended for ages 6 & under (Note: my seven year old was past this reading level, so I would recommend for 4-6 yr olds) $16.99
by Marian M. Schoolland
- Found in the Sonlight Curriculum catalogv 2 page devotionals with story, verse suggestions, questions, prayers, and hymns
“Our 24 Family Ways” Devotional and Coloring book
by Greg Harris
- little kids love to color at the table while daddy leads the devotion
- www.wholeheart.org
** "More Little Visits With God" (Devotions for Families with Grade School Children)
- Concordia Publishing house (1961) Will have to try to find on Amazon probably
- This was a great gift from an older lady in our old church… baby shower
- I grew up using this in Sunday school my teenage years. I have to say it teaches you how to study scripture very in depth. There was a workbook that went with it also. May have to look for it. I am excited to use this with my kids when they get a little bit older. Not for sale through Zondervan… will have to check out Amazon or eBay.
“Heroes for Young Readers” by YWAM
- 2 different kinds of biographies available on different Missionaries… adult reading reading, and poetry with Illustrations for young readers
- The books can be bought in packages or seperatley through YWAM PUB.
- The Young Readers version comes with a CD of the books read to the kids to read along.
- Also Available is workbook with activities about missionaries
- Some missionaries include stories on David Livingstone, Betty Greene, Hudson Taylor and more
- www.ywampublishing.com
** "Missionary stories with the Millers" by Martin
** "Window on the World" by Daphne Spraggett
- Published by paternoster Lifestyle
- www.paternoster-publishing.com
- Great way to learn about and Pray for people around the world… help create a heart for missions in your children… the world is bigger than where we live
Hello! Little Visits with God is a beautiful resource. The anniversary edition can be purchased at Concordia Publishing, but so too can a complete gift set of all of the "Little Visit" books (on the 4th edition now).
ReplyDeleteGod bless! What a fabulous post.
Here is a link to the product at the Concordia Publishing House Store:
http://www.cph.org/cphstore/product.asp?category=&part%5Fno=061325&find%5Fcategory=&find%5Fdescription=&find%5Fpart%5Fdesc=little+visits
Thank you so much for the info and sharing your heart. I am soaking up all the encouragement I can at this moment. I will prayerfully, if still lead by God, headed down that road none to soon myself!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words and stopping by.