Apr 8, 2008

Keeping them Pure

Keeping them Pure! What a challenge in such a corrupt world. Do you remember the days when "Little House on the Prairie, The Andy Griffith Show, Flipper, and the Brady Bunch" were playing on television? Or maybe from my teenage years you remember "Growing Pains" and the "Bill Cosby Show." What about books... do you remember when the most rebellious book to read as a kid was "Nancy Drew." Things have changed a lot in the last few decades. This is no surprise!

The challenge is harder now than ever before, to raise godly Christian leaders in today's world.I live in Oregon, one of the most liberal states, were issues like Euthanasia and Abortion have made their mark on our state. The value for life and purity today has diminished in today's society to such a depressing low. How do you raise your kids to have the values of saving their kiss until their wedding day? Most parents just cross their fingers that their children will be still be virgins or dare I say even heterosexuals. What has become of our Christian community when our standards are so low and do not look any different from the rest of the world.

I for one am very motivated to teach my children and have the expectation that they should save their first kiss for their spouse. That they need not date to find a mate. Rather seek God and His perfect will for their life and allow Him to bring that predestined gift of a life mate into their lives.

I have to say though that in today's society that means you have to work hard at communicating your message by the way you live. Meaning to screen and limit the choices of movies and tv programs you allow your children to watch. Screen the books, music and even friends you allow them to spend time with. Being a parent doesn't mean you are going to be your child's best friend... you are their parent. Parents have to make hard choices for the sake of the child.

As far a purity goes I also consider the view point of innocence. How long can one really preserve a child's innocence. Please do not misunderstand me; I do not mean that children are innocent. Quite the contrary they are sinful just as we are. However, they have very impressionable hearts, ears, eyes, souls and tongues (just as we do). There is an old Sunday school song that comes to mind...

"Be careful little eyes what you see, be careful little eyes what you see, for the Father up above is looking down with love so be careful little eyes what you see."
"Be careful little ears what you hear, be careful little ears what you hear, for the Father up above is listening with love, so be careful little ears what you hear.
Be careful little hands what you do, Be careful little hands what you do, for the Father up above is watching up above, so be careful little hands what you do."

I believe that there are a few other verses that go with these lyrics, but my point is, We are to be careful and to teach our children to be careful. And when our children are entrusted to us we are to take full responsibility for protecting them. Yes we make choices in regards to influences in their lives in order they might have their purity preserved (body, soul and mind). As the child grows more mature you will see them making the right choices. For example, some days I let my kids watch "Little House on the Prairie" on the Hallmark channel. Now at age 7 and 4 my kids always run to shut it off afterward or yell "Mommy... the show is over a "bad" show is coming on." The show that follows is usually MASH. A show I remember being on tv when I was younger although I too wasn't allowed to watch it. I have explained to my kids why we don't watch though. That is where the teaching comes in. it takes extra care and time but they become wise in understanding how to choose is something is appropriate or not.

The same goes for the issue of modesty. Ever since my daughter was a baby she has never had a 2 piece swim suit. My thinking was... why would I allow for a while when she is young and then take that "privilege" (as they see it) away. Consistency!

My point is we are in a battle for our children's purity of mind, body and spirit. When my daughter see a scary pinball machine at the pizza store she has bad dreams that night. I love that her spirit is that sensitive and saddened that so many young children are already so desensitized to the wrong and evil around them. I think a lot of it comes from media although I have to lay the responsibility on the parents.

When your children play quietly by themselves do they play mean, do they have the boy doll kiss the girl doll? There have been times when I have listened carefully to my 3 yr old play with her loving family dolls... she will sometimes have the mommy being real bossy and I think is that how my kids view me. What an eye opener right... none of us are perfect. Least of all me. I have however watched many kids play over the years and you can tell a huge difference between the ones who watch too much "grown up tv" or inappropriate shows (even when they are G rated) and the children who do not.

I feel like I am in a war... for my children to be raised in a like minded community where they do not feel like they are the only ones who think certain things are wrong. And though we do live in the world and they will feel that way the rest of their lives. (We will be persecuted b/c of Christ) They are still 8,5,3, and 1 and shouldn't have to deal with the bad dreams because of the stories other kids tell or the scary pinball machine at the pizza parlor.

One way I battle this opposition is through prayer, prayer, prayer, and more prayer. And then I reinforce their teaching with awesome books, stories, and friendships with a few like minded children. I am always so thankful to the Lord when he brings those special families into our lives that have the same vision for raising their family and then they back it up by their actions.

Well here is a simple list of our favorite books we read with the kids that help reinforce purity... Enjoy...


Raising Virtuous Children

Generations of Virtue is a great Resource for book recommendations and they sell them online too!
Go to www.generationsofvirtue.com

**Curriculum Guide from Generations of Virtue
  • by Julie Hiramine & Megan Briggs
  • Preschool- 4th grade
  • Lists of Books (Great Resource)
  • $10-
The “Story of Me” by Stan & Brenna Jones
  • By on generations of Virtue website

***”The Princess and the Kiss” by Jennie Bishop
  • An all time favorite of all my kids, especially the girls
  • Color book and curriculum also available
  • Teaches on purity, beautifully illustrated
  • Generations of virtue sells little boxes to keep their “kiss” in and bracelets w/ a box to keep it in… very sweet. Kelsey actually thinks her first kiss is in the box. I love it
  • The book teaches the purity principle of saving your first kiss for your husband. In addition the Princess has to choose her suitor… many come to take her hand but she has wise judgement… not choosing the wealthy man b/c he has everything… why would he need her kiss… or appreciate it; not choosing the most handsome man etc… Great principles!

***”The Squire and the Scroll” by Jennie Bishop
  • Very similar to “the Princess and the Kiss”, but for boys. Teaching on keeping your mind and eyes pure through the story of a squire surviving courageously through traps a dragon sets for him as he tries to recapture and save the “light” of the city.
  • Boys love it because there is a dragon, knights in shinning armor, and a little boy who saves them all by obey the commands on a special “scroll” his parents teach him from when he is a little boy
  • This is a must have
  • Also available is coloring book and curriculum guide
*“I’d Be Your Hero” by Kathryn O’Brien
  • Buy at local Christian book store or through Generations of Virtue
  • Story where boy is talking to his mom about being her hero, protecting her, getting ready to rule the kingdom… their conversation is so sweet! The mom encourages the boy towards living with integrity in many areas of his life, scripture added to each page
* “I’d Be Your Princess” by Kathryn O’Brien
  • Buy at local Christian book store or through Generations of Virtue
  • A story where the little girl is talking to her daddy about being his princess… similar to above book but for girl and her daddy to read together
Other Great books
“Why do Birds Build Nests?” and “Why do Plants Grow?”
  • by Susan Horner; Moody Pub. $10 ea
  • Creation/Sexual Identity
*“The Lord is my Shepherd” Psalm 23
  • By Helen Haidle @ Seed Faith Books
  • Magnificent Illustrations to the verse, plus Activity Book available for helping teach and memorize the scripture… Little ones under 8 especially love the book, older kids enjoy the activity book
Creating A Heart for Missions

“Heroes for Young Readers” by YWAM
  • 2 different kinds of biographies available on different Missionaries… adult reading reading, and poetry with Illustrations for young readers
  • The books can be bought in packages or separately through YWAM PUB.
  • The Young Readers version comes with a CD of the books read to the kids to read along.
  • Also Available is workbook with activities about missionaries
  • Some missionaries include stories on David Livingstone, Betty Greene, Hudson Taylor and more
  • www.ywampublishing.com

Favorite Books to read with Kids and for Kids to read independently

**Lamplighter Books are Awesome! My friend Kristi is a Distributor… for purchasing through her go to her Blog @ www.kristiknifong.blogspot.com

* "Teddy’s Button"
  • Illustrated Version for little ones under 9 yrs old (Lamplighter)
** “Hedge of Thorns”
  • Illustrated for under 9 yrs (Lamplighter)
* “The Legend of GID the KID & The Black Bean Bandits”
  • by The Miller Brothers
  • Heroes of Promise Series Bk 1
  • Ages 4-8
  • Warner press Kids $10
***“The Little Pilgrim’s Progress” by Taylor
  • My daughter just finished this book for a review of what she liked about it visit her blog @ www.kelseytolpin.blogspot.com

** “Basket of Flowers” (Lamplighter)
  • Great for Girls

** “Mary Jones and Her Bible” (Lamplighter)

*For complete description of any lamplighter books go to www.lamplighterpublishing.com

Home Economics/ Manners


“Little Annie’s Art book of Etiquette & Good Manners”
  • By Barry & Sandra Stebbing $14.95
  • They have complete art curriculum's
  • www.howgreatthouart.com
  • 1-800-982-DRAW
  • I had good intentions with this one but have so much stuff that I haven’t used this as much as I would like to… good thing I have another daughter
“Home Economics for Home Schoolers”
  • By Pearables www.pearables.com
  • From their “Quiet Art Series”
  • Many Volumes Based on age. Meant to do one a week
  • Covers topics such as cooking, baking, cleaning, sewing, Organization and Hospitality
“Polished Cornerstones” by Doorposts
  • Ruby Kit teaches basic sewing skills and scripture memorization of Prov. 31 “The Virtuous Woman”
  • We haven’t used anything but the Ruby kit stuff so far but Kelsey loved making “Ruby, Victor (her husband), and her little kids.” We did this almost two yrs ago and she still has ruby and remembers the verse.
  • Published by Doorposts
I hope you can find a treasure in one or a few of these classics! I am planning to hang on to these books to pass on to my children and to my grandchildren. Possibly to hold onto to read with my grand kids someday!

I am hoping to post our favorite videos in my next post. God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Some great info. I am so on board with purity and modesty. Familt Life has done a great series on these issue on their broad cast. Lead by example and set very high expectations along with the teaching!!

    Thank you for the book suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing all the book suggestions. I have been looking for something like this to start reading to my children. Today's world scares me, when it comes to purity. I want to teach my children before they learn it from the world. I ordered Princess and the kiss and The squire and the scroll today. I am so excited for them to arrive.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.