Oct 29, 2009

Halloween & the Occult

Hi Beloved,

Here we are again... another fall. Beautiful fall with all its glory. Wonderful bounty, plentiful harvest.... and then sickness and hallo-ween. We are "ween"ed off hallo-ween.

I know that Halloween is a controversial issue for Christians. So in light of the season, I thought I would stick my neck out there and share our convictions on the topic.
Here is our story:
Isaac and I have gone back and forth over the years as to whether or not let the kids dress up and go trick or treating. When we were first married and for years we didn't participate in any type of Halloween traditions, other than going to the pumpkin patch. Once Kelsey was 2 we decided to start having close friends who also don't celebrate it over for games. We would pass on candy with bible verses attached to be a light. But that was the extent. Then a few years ago when Kelsey was 7 and going to a Christian school... we felt pressured into letting the kids dress up and go to the harvest party at school. Then we did our first trick or treating experience.. reluctantly I must say, but still tried to make it fun, for the sake of fun. While the kids liked getting the candy... they all agreed they never wanted to trick or treat again. People and houses were "too scary." It just convinced us more that we didn't want to participate in Halloween. On top of that, because of our health conscious diet... we had to ration the candy and then they forgot about it after a couple of days and didn't desire it anyway. This year our church is having our first Reformation Party... unfortunately we won't be going since we are all too sick with this swine flu.

Since we have been sick we have been listening to audio tapes and watching videos... then good old mom got sick and we went to just videos... then I got sick of our videos and we tried to see if anything was good on TV... I should have known better. There is hardly ever anything healthy for the mind on Television. It is even harder for the Christian when every commercial sells sex, drugs, lingerie (porn), witchcraft, animist ism, homosexuality, cursing, betrayal (adultery), lieing (teenagers to parents/kids to parents/ kids to kids/ wives to husbands/husbands to wives), liberal agenda, birth control (rejecting God's blessings/ not too mention health risks- don't get me started) since I don't see TV very often I was sick of it within a a few minutes and quickly shut it off. Usually if there is something we want to watch we record it and then when we watch it, we fast forward through the commercials. (Usually it is fox news...sometimes 18 kids and counting)... I was just so disgusted. I was shocked by how bad things have gotten... it is so difficult to raise godly righteous children in such a fallen and perverse world. AS Christians we are so easily, tempted into believing falsities... we don't even realize how much of what our core beliefs we molded by the government and there agendas, the media and their agendas. Though this life has been a fallen life since the fall of Adam and Eve, we are living in a different day today then even 15 years ago, 30 years, 60 years ago. It is no wonder that most of the children raised in the christian church of today fall away from their faith by the ages of 19-21. What can we do about it? I suggest for one thing we try with all the strength of the Lord to stand firm, then stand firm, and when we are sick and tired, stand firm more. One way we can stand firm is by standing up for the Lord and standing against what opposes God... witchcraft is one of those that oppose God. If we as Christians do not stand apart and look different how can we be any different... how will our children ever be any different.... if what they see is the same as the culture. We teach our children not by just our words, but more through our actions... what we do as well as what we do not do. I am opposed to participating in Halloween however, we have something more exciting to celebrate on that same day that is worth celebrating. Especially in light of the politically issues endangering our spiritual freedoms today. Oct.31 was first (before Halloween came about) celebrated as All Saints Day... Reformation day!
I suggest we take this opportunity to actively teach our children about the reformation as well the spiritual numbness of society. Teach them about the spiritual battle we are living in and how visible it is in the weeks leading up to this pagan ritualistic holiday. We as Christians are told by God to flee from all evil. We need to flee from this evil as much as possible because it is everywhere.

Recently a respected woman at church sent me an email about Halloween & the Occult. You can read it here to see it. It is a concise article with tons of scripture worth your time.

http://www.teachinghome.com/nlimages/fall_nl.jpg

over all I believe God calls us to be a light to this world, but I don't feel consciously clear by participating in a pagan holiday. That's just me. I haven't for a long time. If you believe the false thinking of pagans who say... "that's not being a light. That makes you look judgemental"... you are taking advice from the world. They are claiming judgemental ism in order to get you to stand down from you faith so they can justify their lack of it. When in reality aren't they judging you for saying "NO." Whatever happened to "JUST SAY NO." We as Christians say yes too often to the world to make them feel comfortable... but then we loose our "saltiness" and the bible says in Matt 5 "You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt looses its saltiness, it is worthless and should be thrown out." I don't want to be salt-less. Do you?

Tell me what you think!


Happy Reformation Day is Oct 31, 2009!

3 comments:

  1. Definatley something to think about. I will be reading the article you linked. Our church always does a "Trunk or Treat" in hopes to reach those who do not know Him. I feel it is a great outreach tool, but also agree that we conform too much to the world at times. Thanks for sharing your viewpoint. Now I am off to read the article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so refreshing to read your article! We heartily agree with you and also do not celebrate halloween nor watch tv. Our kids are always so perplexed as to WHY Christians would celebrate Halloween. I was very encouraged to read your blog! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I'm a friend of Brenda's and just found your blog! I hope you are feeling better!
    I loved your post about Halloween...we don't celebrate it and we get so much guff from believers...it is really shocking. I tend to not even say anything because they get so riled up. I loved what you wrote and made me feel so much better...especially this line, " They are claiming judgemental ism in order to get you to stand down from you faith so they can justify their lack of it. " So true.
    I'm going to "follow" your blog, so I thought I would introduce myself!
    Feel free to "visit" our family anytime!
    Blessings,
    tarena

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.